Summer is fast approaching, and this Pool Noodle Math Activity is a great way to celebrate. If you are looking for a simple, inexpensive way to make math more fun, this totally works.
Math is one of those things, where if you take a long break, you tend to lose some of your mastery. Summer slide is a huge problem with school age children, because most of them are not doing enough math and reading over the during those months of break.
This pool noodle math activity is such a fun way to get a bit of math practice in, and it is basically a game. We did this in a little tub on the counter, but you could even try this on the rim of a kiddie pool. Math in the pool is just awesome!
You could also do it along the back of a chair or the edge of a bookcase. There are so many options.
Here’s how to make it:
Pool Noodle Math Activity
- Cut a slit, lengthwise, down the back of a pool noodle.
- Write numbers across the front of the pool noodle, leaving a bit of a gap in between them.
- Write math symbols like <, =, >, or to make equations, +, -, =.
- Slice the pool noodle in between each of the numbers and math symbols.
- Place all of the pieces inside a small box or tub.
- Using the slit on the back of each piece, clip the numbers onto the edge of the tub. Then insert the correct symbol into the center.
- Clip and un-clip numbers as you compare them, add them, subtract them, ect.
- When you are finished, store all of the pieces in a plastic back or box so that you can use them again another day.
Isn’t that fun? It’s so simple, and yet very effective. Chances are your kids will love it too, because it something different. It’s interactive, and hey, it’s pool noodles.
If you love this Pool Noodle Math Activity as much as we do, go ahead and share it with your friends. You may also like this Pool Noodle Reading Activity that has been a massive hit on Facebook and Pinterest.
Thanks for stopping by, and have a fun summer!